Thursday, April 7, 2011

FIRST LOOK: NEW AFRICAN FASHION BY HELEN JENNINGS


It's only a matter of time before coffee table books - and encyclopedic volumes, perhaps - on Africa's blooming fashion scene become commonplace -- you only need look at the rapid growth of magazines and blogs centred around this bloom (or boom, if you like). This summer, Arise Magazine editor Helen Jennings is set to release New African Fashion; 288 pages on Africa's historical place in fashion, its contemporary relevance, trends that continue to define this movement and, in a nutshell, "why African fashion is having its moment in the sun".

Sounds like required reading for Team SLiq. Are you looking forward as much as we are? [Release date: Sept. 30, 2011. More info. here].

- SLiq

4 comments:

Divalocity said...

And I will definitely buy this book. I only have at least five fashion books written by people of color. Our style has been copied for years and even in this day, they refuse to say the word 'AFRICAN' Inspired.

neks2U said...

This should be interesting! Will definitely be checking it out.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this info, this I was totally unaware off. I hope you don't mind if I take this to my blog readers.

www.africabatik.wordpress.com
@AfricaBatik

xoliquoricexo said...

@ Divalocity: I hear you loud and clear! I have high expectations. We'll wait and see :-)

@ neks2U: You and I both! Hello :-)

@ africabatik: Feel free to share!

Thanks for dropping by!