Wednesday, September 14, 2011

SLiq Picks: Alek Wek for Stylist Magazine


It's hardly a secret that we love Alek Wek here at Shop Liquorice (see past posts here), and while we don't see her featured as much these days, we love an Alek Wek editorial whenever we see one. Head on over to Stylist Magazine to see her shine all through her Alpha Female editorial, harnesses and all, and pick up some nuggets of wisdom from her interview:

How do you feel fashion has empowered you?
It’s opened so many doors for me. It’s given me a career. I’m able to pay my bills, help my family, travel the world and I’m very grateful for that. But the most humbling part is the voice it’s given me. I believe we should utilise any power we have for important issues that are bigger and beyond us. Whether it’s with refugees or working to educate kids. I don’t think you need to have gone through a civil war to do something. I believe as human beings we can look out for each other. That’s when I started to work with the US Committee for Refugees and Doctors Without Borders because they put their lives on the line to help save people.

Times were tough when you first started in the fashion industry. How did you keep going?
The fact that designers like Lagerfeld, Gaultier, Galliano and Dior could believe in Alek made me believe in myself too. I had only been out of Sudan six or seven years. I was catching up to a new culture and they totally embraced me. It’s not like I had an easy look. I had to pound the streets of New York with my book. I had two pairs of pants and no money.





More here.

- SLiq


Update:

Here's  a look at the available covers:






No comments: